Saturday, November 15, 2008

Gaza's darkness

Last night, I dreamed I was in Gaza. I woke up to Noor's crying and shot out of bed.

It takes a while for my faucet to switch from cold to hot. But the hot water feels better in the winter. Every time I take a warm shower, I think of Gaza. Of the days we had no warm water. Or any water for that matter. Every singal time I take a shower I think of Gaza.

I haven't heard from my parents in two days- unusual considering we are usually on Skype daily.

So I call my father- as I suspected: the electricity has been out for 48 hours now.

"We'll make do, we always do. Just like everyone else" he says matter-of-factly. They are lucky. They are not hungry.

Others have no such faith to fall back on.

UN food distribution centers, on which nearly half of Gaza's population relies, and 20, 000 at any given time, have also shut down, their supplies depleted as a result of Israel's recent tightening of the blockade on Gaza.

Soon, there will be more pressure to get the wheels running again. People must be fed, after all; even prisoners are fed. But no matter if they lose all hope. After all, the civilized world does not invest in hope. It only invests in destroying it. Bullets are more tangible than hope. Hunger is an easier statisical indicator than disallusionment and depression and dreams.

5 Comments:

Blogger John Mullis said...

Asalamu Alaykum Laila

Belonging. or Belonging?

It's clear where your heart is and if I were looking for God, anywhere on earth, I know I'd find him in Gaza. With those wrongly persecuted, punished and deprived. With the dispossed and homeless.

Justice will, in the end, prevail.

Allah-hu Akbar


Keep strong

John

2:29 AM  
Blogger Hijabee said...

May Allah help them. May He give them strenght and sabr and May He protect them inshallah!

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laila- where do your parents live? I've just come back from 4 weeks working in Gaza and there wasn't a single power cut. I'm confused about the media on this.

Jan

5:48 PM  
Blogger Laila said...

Jan-
with whom were you working? All you need to do is check OCHA's updates to get a clear picture of the latest electricity shortages there: http://www.ochaopt.org/documents/ocha_opt_gaza_situation_report_2008_11_17.pdf

Things were "ok" for a while until the most recent Israeli tightening of the noose, closing borders to humanitarian shipments and fuel, which led to the power plant closure and rationing of electricity this week;

2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum Laila,

I visited your blog once in a while when it was 'Raising Yousuf' but then i was not able to locate your blog for some time after that (??). So I 'lost contact' for awhile until i come across your blog mentioned in PeacePalestine and am happy to relocate it back and quickly bookmarked this site.

I'm glad to read your blog again and am especially delighted of the new cute addition to your family. Noor is so adorable!

I pray for the wellbeing of you and your family so you may continue with your good work.

Amin.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home